I have a new appreciation for the entire industry of Drywall Professionals. It’s a skill; and it’s a definite skill that I do not have.
I thought perhaps our ensuite shower was a ‘water saver’ version. Upon entering said shower, you had about 30 seconds to shower before the water turned from nice and toasty to lukewarm and then to unenjoyable. I got pretty good at wetting my hair in the first 30 seconds. I have a lot of hair. I could then get my hair shampooed and conditioned, but by that time the water was lukewarm. It was the remainder of the shower that was very displeasing…and chilly.
We had a plumber come to replace a valve that was not permitting the hot water to mix with the cold, but rather was returning to the hot water tank to be enjoyed by no one. The shower is all tile, and rather than cut through the tile, the plumber was able to access the valve by cutting a 1′ square through the drywall. They then discovered, as the case usually is, that the shower head was hanging on by a thread so replaced that as well, by cutting an additional 2′. Perfect; might as well do it while they are there. Shower is fixed and we now have hot water. And I need to repair the drywall; an approximate 3′ x 1′ rectangle.
I had never mudded and taped before. I’ve filled a lot of holes, usually from pictures, pool cue holes, or the occasional knee or foot that managed to make contact with a wall. Have I mentioned I have two boys? I do. ‘Sorry Mom’. That’s okay. 🙂
The plumber even re-inserted the drywall. I watched a YouTube Video and the instructions noted to apply a generous amount of mud to the seam, lay down your tape, smoothing as you go, and then apply a layer of mud overtop. Okey dokey. I think however, I ended up with too much mud under the tape as my ‘seams’ were dome-shape, or convex as the proper term would be. I apparently needed to ‘squish’ more mud out? I’m not really sure. After the first 24 hours I began to sand and as you can see below, the tape showed through, and the seam was sadly, a convex shape.
In the poor picture on the left you can see the raise surface of the tape. After 4 ‘skim’ coats, as the professionals say, I decided it was as good as it was going to get. My only other option to rid myself of the convex shape would be to cut out the drywall and do it again. That wasn’t going to happen. I primed the wall and then applied my top coat. Luckily I had paint remaining and only had to paint that section of the wall.
Turned out not too bad. In the photo above you can see where I painted as it was still wet, but after it dried it blended well. Definitely not a professional job though as I have a few rough spots, and mini pin holes. I’m thinking if I had to do it again, unless it was smaller than this, I would hire it out. On the upside, I could go shopping for a new, rectangle picture to hang there. 🙂
‘Just A Little Something’ I attempted.